The need for cybersecurity professionals at all levels and within all industries is widely acknowledged. The utility sector is no different. Moreover, the shortage of professionals with the specific skills and experience needed to protect critical infrastructure is even greater. To address this issue, EnergySec is implementing several workforce development programs specifically designed to recruit and develop cybersecurity professionals with the unique skills and abilities required for critical infrastructure protection.
Cybersecurity Internships & Apprenticeships
Internships are a recognized and widely used approach for identifying and recruiting entry staff for various positions. However, their use for cybersecurity roles has been relatively limited. This program is designed to encourage and support the development and implementation of cybersecurity internships.
EnergySec will perform several activities as part of this project:
- Outreach and recruitment of college students with appropriate skills, education, and interest in our industry.
- Development and delivery of online education courses to prepare prospective interns for placements at electric utilities. This will include foundational knowledge of the industry, work practices, safety, legal and regulatory issues, and the basics of utility operations.
- Outreach to utilities to encourage creation of internship opportunities and cataloging internship positions for promotion to the candidate base.
- A comprehensive, nationwide outreach effort will broaden and deepen the pool of internship candidates.
- The development of preparatory programs will result in interns that are better prepared to contribute in meaningful ways to utility security programs.
- Mentoring and networking efforts will increase interns’ affinity to the industry, increasing the likelihood of future employment and ongoing loyalty.
- A branded, coordinated effort will provide tangible and visible evidence of industry’s commitment to cybersecurity.
Participation in our cybersecurity internships & apprenticeships will be open to any electric sector asset owner in North America. Participating organizations will gain access to the internship candidate pool developed by EnergySec, as well as support materials such as work models and case studies. There is no fee for Energysec Member organizations to participate. To get started, complete the form below, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re interested in a career in critical infrastructure cybersecurity, we’d love to have you as part of our community. To get connected, simply complete the form below.
EnergySec works to connect employers, educators, and students to help build and place the next generation of cybersecurity professionals for our industry. To connect with us and begin participating in our programs, simply complete the form below, or send us an email at email@example.com.